Thursday, June 12, 2008

Inspired by the Harlot- Easy One Row Blanket Pattern

Here it is, my pattern for the Easy One Row Handspun Blanket de la Harlot!

My friend Bibo is a nurse at the Miami VA Hospital and my knitting
group, the Sweet Stitchin Betties, is on the case! We're making lap blankets and hats for veterans there.

I decided I needed a lap blanket pattern that wouldn't drive me crazy with boredom but also was easy enough that I could take it to work on at knit night or while zoning out with Inspector Barnaby (Yes, I'm addicted to Midsomer Murders!)

So here's what I came up with. Try it! Especially for a needy charity!

The Yarn Harlot made this stitch famous with her fabulous free pattern for the One Row Handspun Scarf. Everything about that pattern translates really well into a blanket. The pattern is easy to memorize, looks great, and is reversible. It also isn't too "lacy" which can be a problem for charity blankets. This would also make a great pattern to use for charity pet blankets. Last but not least, suitable for knitters of all skill levels!

I got a pound of Bernat Softee Chunky for 4 bucks at AC Moore (when your husband has been laid off for the last 3 months, that's about all I can squeeze for yarn these days. And before you worry, he's gotten a new job, which we are happy about. It's black days for chefs in this economy!) On the plus side, the yarn is really soft, in cheerful colors, and machine washable, a MUST for the VA and most domestic charity knitting requirements.

The pattern is a basic 4 stitch pattern, so you can adjust the size of your blanket by adding or subtracting stitches by 4.

My Specs:

Needles: Size 10 circulars, 29 inches long (or as needed for the size of
your blanket)
Yarn: Bernat Softee Chunky (I'm using the color "Carnival")

CO 120 stitches.
Row 1: *knit 2, knit into the back of the next stitch, purl 1.

Repeat this row until blanket is desired size. Bind off in pattern! Donate to a good cause.

Here's mine in progress:

lap blanket

7 comments:

Lady Euphoria Deathwatch said...

Hi Skully,

I just got myself a size 10 circular needle on sale yesterday because they were out of the size I was looking for. Now I have something to justify the purchase. Not that I really needed one.

Thanks, Lady Euphoria

esp said...

I've been looking for an easy-ish blanket pattern to knit that looks interesting but is simple enough to knit while zoning out with Marple. This looks perfect. Thank you!

Francis Simisim said...

I've been researching about knitting lately, I'd like to start it our during my free time. I'm starting to look around for the needles and yarns. Fingers crossed =)

btw, come by our website @Casual Wedding Dresses

Sandra said...

Looking for an easy blanket to make for my first grandchild, due April, 2012, I'm in Australia, do you know what ply wool I use for this one?

caillean@silvi.eu said...

maybe I'm a total dumb, maybe it's because english is not my tongue, but I'm getting columns instead of the beautiful twist I see in your pic and in the scarf you mentioned. please help me: I knit the first two stitches, knit from the back the third and purl the fourth, is that correct? and my total number of stitches must be a multiple of four plus two? i'm making a blanket for a friens and the baby's already born:-)

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking this is good for my first throw pattern. But two questions:
1 - About how wide is your throw when you use 120 stitches? (You know feet or inches or something.)
2 - One pound of yarn is how many yards or meters?
Questions or tips would be awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

I did this the first time I made the one row scarf, so maybe you did what I did! Which is: I accidentally just knit 2 at the beginning and end of the row and did the knit in the back and purl across the row. Which is actually a twisted rib pattern lol.
Instead you should repeat this pattern across the whole row *Knit 2, Knit in the back, purl*
Hope that helps! (And if you are already doing that, then you are smarter than I was when I first started knitting and I'm not sure why you're getting columns ��)