Friday, October 28, 2005

thank you for all your good thoughts

We are OK! Our power is back on. our phone works *mostly*. we have no idea when we can go back to work (so that means lots-o-knitting!) my main thought i have most of the time is, "you know, i'm tired of soup." but this is no pity party-- we are mindnumbingly greatful for our dumb luck, our blessings, our friends and family, and the kindness of strangers.

Below are some pictures I took on Monday and Tuesday-- after that, all the wreckage started looking exactly the same to me, and it got damned depressing to look at all my favourite banyan and mango trees lying limp on the ground, so i put my camera away. i realized it was no use taking shots like, "My favourite banyan tree with all the spanish moss next to the Methodist Church on 70th" or "My old bus stop on 16th St. shattered". they just aren't that interesting to other people because it's my associations about the things that make it meaningful to me. Anyway, enough of the maudlin hoo hah: all these below are all taken right around our house, and we saw some jaw dropping things down the street and so forth, but my heart isn't into taking pictures of anything but cats anymore. (i'm sparing you from the 65+ pictures of all the cats playing with their wontons. . . you only have to see ONE)

5 comments:

Maggie said...

I am so, so very glad that you and Newt (and all the cats!) are OK, and coping admirably with what sounds like a scary and strange experience...

Anonymous said...

Hey, Skully. I haven't called because I didn't want to use up your phone battery, since it sounded like you might not get power til Nov. If things are okay, though, I'll try and give you a call on ye old land line. I can entertain you with photos of my bedroom painting project. Olive, dark lavendar and pink. It sounds horrid, but is really nice!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you are all okay.

P.S. I want to see more pictures of your cats and the wontons! Seriously!

Anonymous said...

Whoops, the above was me. g.d. blogger.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the pictures are amazing and I am soooo glad you guys are ok! I was never worried about India, but sometimes the Giant Peach can be a mite bit fractious when enduring unsettled weather conditions! Lord Moses of course, simply smiles urbanely and takes another dip of snuff.
Keep up the party-- Wilma can't keep you down!
Warm thoughts!
Carol