Monday, October 01, 2007

Fall is here!


happy thanksgiving
Originally uploaded by skullsnbats
There's a cool breeze in the air, and the overcast & stormy days have made it feel wonderfully fall-like in the subtropics. Yay!

And now for our weekly dishcloth chat:


Are there any recipes you especially enjoy having in the Fall? Any foods that are seasonal that you especially enjoy? Feel free to share recipes with us too!

I must say that I love using my crockpot year round. It's great in the summer because it doesn't make the house hot, but I love making fall stews and chilis. I made a fantastic Indian Lentil Soup last week in the crockpot that I will post the recipe to later. Indian food is great for fall because the bright oranges look very festive. Here's a recipe to one of my faves you can try to bring some fall to your kitchen!

Cholay (Curried Chickpeas)
4 cups chickpeas (canned)
2 cups onions, chopped
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp red or cayenne pepper
2 tbsp canola oil
Saute onions in oil on medium heat until carmelized. Add cumin seeds and cook until fragrant. Add chick peas, salt, and pepper. Heat through. Garnish with fresh diced tomato and onion.
Serve plain, over basmati rice, roti (Indian flatbread), or naan.

No comments: